Veritas Enterprise Vault Search Portal: https://evserver.co.brown.wi.us/enterprisevault/Search
** ENTERPRISE VAULT WILL BE MOVING. After the Office 365 migration, all email archived in Enterpise Vault will be moved to Office 365. Likely spring 2020. More updates to follow.
What is the Veritas Enterprise Vault?
Veritas Enterprise Vault (or EVault) allows individual users to securely access their archived email and calendar items, along with any shared archived mailboxes. Since every user mailbox has a corresponding Enterprise Vault (EVault) mailbox archive, you can access it by logging in to the Enterprise Vault Search Portal by using your Brown County network User ID and Password.
Benefits of Veritas Enterprise Vault?
1) Automatically stores emails & calendar items - this meets Brown County's general email retention rules (general email retention rules will change to match whatever is approved in the final updated TS-1 Information Technology Usage Policy. If you need to keep an email indefinitely, save the contents outside of the Outlook program.)
2) All new items are archived every night. If you delete an email after the 1st day it is received, you can recover it yourself using Enterprise Vault.
3) Provides a powerful search engine allowing users the ability to search for all recent and archived emails in one place. Every email that is 1 day old up to 7 years old is contained within Enterprise Vault.
4) You can access Enterprise Vault via any device that can browse the web, including iOS and Android mobile devices.
5) Email in the Enterprise Vault is compressed resulting in reduced storage costs.
6) Allows BCTS the ability to securely retain and extract email data that may be needed for legal or regulatory reasons.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Frequently Asked Questions:1) What is Enterprise Vault (or EVault) Email Archiving?
The Enterprise Vault solution that will be rolled out to all County mailboxes allows Brown County Department of Technology Services (BC DoTS) to provide the following benefits:
a) Allow for archiving of older email messages and calendar items which will coincide with email retention rules (general email retention rules will change to match whatever is approved in the final updated TS-1 Information Technology Usage Policy. If you need to keep an email indefinitely, save the contents outside of Outlook.
b) The ability to compress these archived email items resulting in reduced storage costs.
c) Provide a powerful search engine allowing end-users the ability to search within their archived emails.
d) Allow BCTS the ability to securely retain and extract email data needed for legal or regulatory reasons.
2) What does ‘Archiving Older Email’ mean?
BCTS will archive all email messages & calendar items and will store them within the Enterprise Vault. You can then search back through your email messages & calendar items via the Enterprise Vault Search Portal.
3) During the nightly, daily archive process why do I see duplicate emails and a "Pending Clock" icon in my mailbox?
As stated in the benefits section above, each night your new mailbox items will be imported into EVault between 7:00 pm and 5:00 am. During this nightly/early morning archive process it is normal to briefly see duplicate emails and a “Pending Clock” icon in your mailbox. Needless to say, staff working during the evening and early morning shifts are more likely to be affected. Please do not move or delete these mailbox items during the few hours where you may see these remnants. Good rule to follow = if email has a clock icon temporarily let it be.
Standard mail icon = Pending Clock Icon =
4) How do I access the Enterprise Vault Search Portal?
There are several ways to access the Enterprise Vault Search Portal:
a) Click on the shortcut called “Enterprise Vault” located within the BC Intranet >> Common Applications Links.
b) Create your own shortcut using this site = https://evserver.co.brown.wi.us/enterprisevault/search
c) Outlook Users - Use the Enterprise Vault Add-In located within your Outlook
d) OWA users – Double-click on an archived email in OWA and a draft of the original email will populate within a new window. You can then click on the link labeled Enterprise Vault and then click on “Search”.
5) Can I access the Enterprise Vault Search Portal using any web browser?
Accessing the Enterprise Vault Search Portal will work best with Internet Explorer and Firefox.
6) Can I use the Enterprise Vault Search Portal to view my email archive on a Phone, Tablet or home computer?
Yes. You can use any web enabled device and go to https://evserver.co.brown.wi.us/enterprisevault/Search
7) Do I need to enter in my User ID and Password when accessing the Enterprise Vault Search Portal?
Yes. Whether you are navigating to the Enterprise Vault Search Portal website or accessing the Enterprise Vault Search Portal via the Outlook or OWA Add-In, you will always be required to authenticate using your Brown County credentials. Use the following User ID Log-In format when accessing = gov\jones_bb
8) When accessing the Enterprise Vault Search Portal, you are prompted to run the "Veritas Enterprise Vault" Add-On.
Depending on your Operating System (OS) and other dependent software versions, you may be prompted to enable the Enterprise Vault Add-On when logging in for the first time. Click on the banner and select option "Run add-on".
You may also be prompted with a second window asking you to enable the Veritas Enterprise Vault ActiveX control. Click on the "Run" button to proceed.
9) When accessing the Enterprise Vault Search Portal I see a popup that states "The 'Email' archive group has more than 15 archives...do you want to configure a new group?" What does this mean?
If you have access to multiple shared mailboxes, Enterprise Vault wants to help you reduce clutter and organize those mailboxes into groups so you don't have to see all the mailboxes at once. You can either create a new group by selecting "Yes", perform this task later by answering "Remind me later" or you can answer "Don't ask me again". You can configure groups at any time via the 'Preferences' drop-down in the top right corner whenever you are logged in to the Enterprise Vault Search Portal.
10) After logging in to the Enterprise Vault Search Portal I do see my archive mailbox name listed on the left hand-side, although I also have other mailbox names listed. Should I be able to see these other mailboxes?
It depends on if you have permissions to other mailboxes other than your own. If you have been granted access to other mailboxes for business needs, then these mailboxes will advertise in the left column along with your own mailbox. However, in the past we have seen examples where mailbox permissions were set incorrectly or have expired and access to a particular mailbox is no longer needed (example = user moves to a different department). If you see a mailbox advertising incorrectly in the Enterprise Vault Search Portal and you realize that you should not have access to it, please call the Help Desk @ x4030 so we can correct the access.
11) In OWA - After my mailbox has been archived, why do I see a message in OWA stating that "Enterprise Vault has not archived this item"?
There is a known issue within Enterprise Vault where OWA may incorrectly advertise archived mail items as 'not archived'. You can disregard this message as your mailbox items have been archived properly. Click the SEARCH option with the magnifying glass (as shown in the above image) to navigate to the Enterprise Vault Search Portal to search for your mailbox item.
12) When navigating within the Enterprise Vault Search Portal website, I do not see a Log-Out option?
That is correct. If you navigate to the Enterprise Vault Search Portal website you will be asked to Log-In, but the website does not offer a Log-Out option. Just go ahead and close the browser when you are finished with your archive search.
13) On a shared computer where you share ID and Password - If the Enterprise Vault Search Portal website does not offer a Log-Out option, how do I prevent others from accessing my archive mailbox?
On computers where department users share the same Log-In credentials, it will be extremely important that you only use Internet Explorer to access the Enterprise Vault Search Portal website. Along with that note, it will be extremely important that you close ALL Internet Explorer sessions once you have completed your archive search. Again - make sure you close ALL of your Internet Explorer browser session(s) and not just the current tab. Closing ALL Internet Explorer browser sessions and then re-launching Internet Explorer will force the next user to Log-In again new. If you have a shared computer using shared Log-In credentials and you do not follow the directions above, other users will be able to access your mailbox archive.
14) Besides the above FAQ's, are there any other resources that can assist me with the Enterprise Vault?
Read a brief article about using the correct query syntax for a simple search.
Watch a video on how to browse your archive, conduct searches and view search results. Make sure to choose the video for Enterprise Vault Search 12.0 (not 12.1).
Watch a video on how to use the search suggestions to quickly build a search query. Make sure to choose the video for Enterprise Vault Search 12.0 (not 12.1).
Watch a video on how to use the advanced search to build queries that contain multiple search criteria. Make sure to choose the video for Enterprise Vault Search 12.0 (not 12.1).
15) Are there any other Help Resources located easily within our Enterprise Vault Search Portal?
Yes. Once you are logged in to your Enterprise Vault Search Portal website, you can left-click on the page title in the upper left corner titled "Enterprise Vault Search" (see image below). This will provide you with multiple How-To articles and video links.