Brown County Technology Services is transitioning from Windows 7 to Windows 10 and from Microsoft Office 2010 to Microsoft Office 2016. This intranet page contains compatibility, tips and tricks, and other information regarding the Windows 10 and Office 2016 conversions. It will be updated periodically, and it was last updated 9/8/2016. This transition will take up to 36 months and began in June of 2016. It must be complete by June 2019.
Why are we converting?HP and Intel have announced new computers will not support the Windows 7 operating system. As we replace computers we will be required to upgrade to Windows 10. Further, Microsoft announced end of mainstream support as of January 13, 2015, and total end of support on Jan 14, 2020. Based on this the target for Brown County is to have all primary computers migrated to Windows 10 and Office 2016 by June 2019.
Which computers can run which Windows Versions?Note as of September 2016, some hardware BCTS is recieving is already not compliant with Windows 7.
Windows 7 Only
HP Compaq 8300 Elite SFF
Windows 7 or Windows 10
HP EliteDesk 800 G1 SFF
HP Z440 Workstation
HP EliteBook Revolve 810 Tablet
HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G2 Tablet
HP EliteBook Revolve 810 G3 Tablet
HP EliteBook Revolve 850 G2
Windows 10 Only
HP EliteDesk 800 G2 Mini
HP eliteBook 850 G3
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) About Windows 10 and Office 20161. When can I expect to get Windows 10 and Office 2016? Each County Department or sub-unit will be converted after confirmation that key applications are compliant. In general, the workstations will be upgraded as they are replaced in the equipment replacement cycle. Toward the end of the rollout cycle, TS will push an update to existing PCs and laptops which still have a 2+ year life expectancy. Each area will be notified in advance of upgrades.
2. Is Windows 10 a lot different than Windows 7? BCTS has configured Windows 10 to retain most of the look and feel of Windows 7. Although the changes are minimal, training may be required for staff.
Is Office 2016 a lot different than Office 2010? The look and feel of Office 2016 is different than Office 2010, and the menu options have changed. Basic functionality remains the same. Training may be required for staff. Click here for
When will Microsoft end support for Windows 7? Microsoft mainstream support ended January 13, 2015 and extended Microsoft support for Windows 7 ends January 14, 2020.
3. Will this cost our department? Possibly. The Windows 10 and Microsoft Office 2016 licensing is already paid for through the annual Microsoft agreement. PC and laptop upgrades are already in your chargeback. Departments that have applications that are not Windows 10 compliant will need to budget in 2018/9 for the application replacement.
How long will Microsoft support Windows 10? Microsoft Windows 10 will be supported by Microsoft through Oct 13, 2020 and end of support is Oct 14, 2025. For more information on Microsoft support dates click here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet
4. Can we skip the Windows 10 and Office 2016 upgrade? No. New HP hardware supporting Windows 7 stops shipping August 2016. Your computer or laptop (or non-compliant software) must be upgraded or budgeted for in 2018 or 2019 budget cycles.
5. Will there be Windows 10 and Office 2016 training? Yes, there will be ongoing classroom training and online training available for Brown County staff. Contact the helpdesk, check the intranet and/or watch emails for updates on County technology training.
6. Is LOGOS Windows 10 and Office 2016 compliant? LOGOS is expected to be compliant with Office 2016 and Windows 10 by Feb 2017.
7. Is KRONOS Windows 10 and Office 2016 compliant? Yes, the current version of Kronos is Windows 10 and Office 2016 compliant.
8. What will happen if an existing system or application is not compliant with Windows 10 and Office 2016? BCTS and departmental application specialists will contact vendors and where necessary, test systems and applications to confirm compliance. If an application is not compliant, TS will work with the customer area to get the application upgraded, retired or replaced. This may involve budgeting for a replacement system or application through the annual budget process.
Is Avatar Windows 10 and Office 2016 compliant?
9. Will Smart Boards and other Presentation set-ups, I.e.: laptops with big screen monitors be included in upgrades? Yes, all BCTS managed PCs will be upgraded. PCs that are provided by other vendors will need upgrades through those providers.
10. Is the Symphony Library system Win10 compliant? See below
11. Will our existing Microsoft Access database(s) upgrade without losing data or features? Microsoft Access is not formally supported by BCTS and it is not recommended for use. If you choose to continue to use Microsoft Access it is likely the application will need to be modified to function in MSAccess 2016. Plan on budgeting for a product to replace any Microsoft Access application you might be using as part of the 2018 budget cycle.
- WorkFlows client support on 64-bit Windows 10 operating systems began with the SirsiDynix Symphony 3.5.1 release.
- WorkFlows has not been validated for use on a 32-bit Windows 10 operating system.
- The following Internet browsers are supported for the SirsiDynix Symphony web-based products.
- Internet Explorer 11.x, 10.x, and 9.x
- Microsoft Edge
- Mozilla Firefox
- Apple Safari 4.0.x for Macintosh
- Google Chrome
- The Bookmobile laptop is already successfully running Windows 10.